September 15, 2006

EMILY DICKINSON

During my senior year of college I did a student exchange and was lucky enough to attend University of Montana in Missoula. Though I wasn't a graduate student, I was able to focus on graduate classes on the topics of poetry and creative writing. I studied under Earl Ganz, and Greg Pape. This was a great opportunity for me both personally and educationally.
These two professors taught me well and I discovered a lot about my writing voice while under their wings. I was also able to meet some very wonderful friends in Missoula, Montana, which I love still to this day. Natalie and Shannon, that means you!

One of the classes I took focused on the poetry of Emily Dickinson. I fell in love with her poetry and became obsessed with the poem below. I plan to have it engraved on my headstone (though, in reality, I want to be cremated so perhaps I'll have it engraved on my urn).

My life closed twice before its close;
It yet remains to see
If immortality unveil
A third event to me,
So huge, so hopeless to conceive,
As these that twice befell.
Parting is all we know of Heaven,
and all we need of Hell.

-Emily Dickinson, Parting

No comments: