January 14, 2007

OLD BOOKS, NEW LOVE

The first really old books I bought came when I lived in Chicago. I was walking along a street just outside the loop where I discovered someone having an urban yard sale. Same set up, mostly the same kind of junk, just no muddy grass or old copies of the Ensign like I was used to. But the lure was still there.
After a few minutes of browsing I noticed a beautiful set of old books, probably about 30 total being sold for $20. I didn't even hesitate - I knew I wanted them. There were great titles {i.e. A Tree Grows in Brookly by Betty Smith} and all were in great condition. I carried that box of books about two miles to my brownstone and have loved them ever since.
Kym gave me an old hardback copy of "Pale Horse, Pale Rider" by Katherine Anne Porter and I'm loving it's spiteful passages like this one, "but they had learned by indirection one thing well - nice people did not carry on quarrels before outsiders. Family quarrels were sacred, to be waged privately in fierce hissing whispers, low choked mutters and growls. " Wondering why you should read it...click here.

No comments: