January 02, 2007

PACKING + MOVING = SUCK

Nate and I spent nearly every waking moment from Dec. 27-January 1 packing up our condo and preparing to move. We are living in our friend's basement for six weeks until our home is completed. Here are a few of the things I've learned from this process.


1. It always takes 3X longer to pack and move then you anticipate
2. The help of family and friends is invaluable
3. I keep things around that shouldn't be kept
4. The last few boxes you pack cannot be categorized as simply as the first few
5. The more cleaning you do and the more you touch cardboard, the dryer your hands get

It's an interesting thing to do: take all your belongings and put them into boxes and label those boxes so you know what's inside. The first 15 boxes I did were very organized. They simply had "dishes" or "books". The last few, however, became a laundry list of stuff. "tool kit, pilates ring, mixing spoons, cowboy boots, and shower curtain rings". Those boxes are going to be the ones I want to launch out the window when I'm unpacking.

I have to give special thanks to my Dad and Mom and my brother Ryan and wife Ruth {and fetus Hugo} for all their help. Nate and I simply would not have finished without such hard working and delightful help. I love you all.
Extra thanks to Nate. He could tell when I was getting too anxious for my own skin and would stop whatever he was doing to give me a hug. He's the best husband.

No comments: