February 01, 2007

JCREW WORLD

I used to get a Jcrew cataloge in the mail about every five days. Though I pretended to be irritated I secretly poured over the pages and dreamed of living in Jcrew world. You see, Jcrew world is basically perfect.
Everyone is healthy, mid-twenties, pink-cheeked, glowing skin, and the clothes fit them like they were custom tailored. Jcrew world has the perfect summer sun; the blue skies of a perfect snowbird winter day; deep, earthy autumn tones; and breezy spring mornings.
In Jcrew world people live in rustic, plaid-shorn cabins and work in dog-friendly renovated warehouses. They go sailing, snow shoeing, camping {in old vintage VW vanigans}, and hang out at the ocean in eye appealing groups of an odd mix of women and men of all nationalities.
In Jcrew world they eat at outdoor cafes, carry armfuls of fresh cut flowers and groceries and only ride bikes with baskets on the handlebars. Occasionally in Jcrew world someone gets married. Again, usually on the beach with equally gorgeous wedding parties. The women wear relaxed buns and ponytails and the men have perfectly unkept heads of hair.
The best part of Jcrew world is that everyone is always smiling with perfect white teeth and naturally glossy lips. Sometimes when I flipped through the pages just before bed I'd dream about living there. I'd fit in and be one of the nantucket gang. I'd have tan lines and wear sear sucker and sun hats. But then I'd wake up in my old t-shirt with drool dried to my cheek and the moment was over in an instant.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, everyone that I tell to read this cracks up. This is why you are my best friend.