January 27, 2007

TRIFECTA OF ENTERTAINMENT

Subtitle: Sundance #4 and #5: Snow Angels, On the Road with Judas {respectively}.

Lastnight Nate and I visited the Rose Wagner Theater in Salt Lake for our fourth of five films for the festival. This one, Snow Angels, stars Kate Beckinsale, Sam Rockwell, Michael Angarano {from the current season of 24}, Amy Sedaris, and more. This movie was really fresh. The dialogue felt quite natural and not trained for the cinema. Performance worth noting was Michael Angarano. Heavy storyline; very heavy. But the performances were really good and I liked!













After Snow Angels Nate and I walked up 3rd South heading to the Broadway. We walked by the Beehive Tea Room, saw live music and a warm atmosphere {and a few empty tables} and decided to have some dinner before the second movie of the evening. Things I like about the tea room: it feels like a cute little place you might stumble onto in New York or Chicago. The food is pretty good, especially the salmon chowder. The dining area seems intimate and parlor-esque. Live music not half bad. They make a delicious iced Chai tea.
While at the Tea Room and while standing in line for my ice chai, a man in line asked me if anyone had told me I look like Sally Fields, and I said, "yes, several times." And then I recited her most popular line, "you like me, you really, really like me." I asked him to clarify which Sally I resembled {gidget, smokey and the bandit, steal magnolias, prilosec commercials}. He said Gidget which I think was his attempt to me nice to me. Anyway, we discussed possible movie roles for me which all included me playing a "young sally". As Nate and I left the theater he called out, "goodbye Sally Field" which I'm sure turned a lot of heads.


















Now for the third leg of the trifecta of entertainment. On the Road with Judas starring Aaron Ruell {Nepolian Dynomite's odd brother}, Leo Fitzpatrick, Kevin Corrigan and Eddie Kay Thomas adapted from JJ Lask's book of the same name was a total highlight. I've never seen such a confusing plotline executed so well and be so entertaining. Especially when, in the end, not much happens. And I mean that in a good way.
The story looks into the idea of stealing; a moment, an idea, someone else's experience...and then just good old fashioned stealing like taking someone's computer or TV. If you enjoy indie films at all, you'll like this one. Something to impress you??? JJ Lask, who can't be more then 30, wrote his first novel (On the Road with Judas) which became a bestseller. Then he adapted it for film {his first}, entered it into the Sundance Film Festival {first time entering a festival} and was accepted. Here's to getting it right the first time!

No comments: