December 23, 2006

A VERY THOMPSON CHRISTMAS

Tonight at the Biggs Family party {Nate and I are in Logan now} we went around and shared our favorite Christmas memories. Because it's Christmas and because they are favorite memories, I've decided to share them with my Clemantine readers.

As a young married couple, my parents didn't have a lot of extra money to purchase Christmas specific records. Instead, they would play those my dad already owned. His selection was primarily Marty Robbins, Hank Williams, Sons of the Pioneers and Johnny Cash. Now every time I hear these artists I'm reminded of decorating the Christmas tree; hanging my very own ornaments; spending time together as a tiny little family {then of only five - ha ha}.

On the days leading up to Christmas and the days following Christmas my dad would provide lots of joyous fun in the snow. I was lucky enough to grow up with a real live cowboy for a dad. The boots, the hat, the horses. On snowy days, much to my delight, my dad would tie an inner tube to the saddle horn of one of his fabulous horses and pull us around for hours. Now this was the 70s and before the city would completely clear the roads of snow and ice. Back then the roads would remain snowy for days and the banks would build up over five feet. Imagine my delight - skidding around the neighborhood pulled by the musclely legs of our quarter horses Prom's Child or Miss Burly Bar; wind in my hair; tight grip to the knotted ropes. It is one of my fondest Christmas memories. Thank you Dad!

No comments: