September 04, 2007

TOO TRADITIONAL? {please comment}

Nate and I visited a glorious consignment shop today; mostly in search of a fabulous rug someone was trying to get rid of. This place has beautiful stuff and the prices were so reasonable.
Anyway, we stumbled onto this pretty rug that was turned into the consignment shop brand new. It ain't the pakistani, vegetable dye, hand woven rugs we saw at Hamilton's for $8,000 {sigh} but it's pretty and it was just $600.
I have two questions. 1) Is it too dark for the room? I know we are already pushing it with the dark couch, coffee table and cabinets; that's what happens when you're trying to satisfy a man that dreams of living in a smoking den. The black chair will be replaced with a chaise and we'll eventually put two club chairs at the opposite end of the rug. 2) Will the traditional oriental style rug rule out any contemporary pillows, art, decor? I just worry that my room will end up looking like a museum.
I need feedback so please leave comments if you have them. I'm supposed to let the consignment company know if I'm keeping it or not; it's currently just on loan.



8 comments:

Seeb said...

I invite you to visit my blog,nice to meet you

Therese said...

hi tonia

i like it, and the price is right, and if you had maroon or deep-red walls, it would be a perfect fit. but your blue walls make me stop short of giving it a full endorsement. what about a rug with some blue in it to correspond with the walls?

dayna said...

I am not by any means the expert, but I love your blue walls and think you do need something lighter on that dark floor to tie it all together. The dark floors are AWESOME and a lighter rug would really set them off. Hard to beat that price, though! Good luck! Have you thought of just having a carpet remnant made into the right size for that room?

Gen~Gen said...

Hi, I saw your blog. Yes I love the rug, I do agree maybe the blue walls are a bit to light for the room. My husband wanted an "english Library" look in our living room. So I understand your pain. ;)

CaraDee said...

I have to agree with the dark factor. Sorry. But I do love your couch and that cool cabinet against the wall.

brandi (and tim) said...

As long as Nate is in the room, you never have to worry about it being too dark. I personally don't have a problem with the rug and the furniture, but then again, I am a man and have always wanted to live in a museum.

t.

Anonymous said...

I actually really like it. I think it's a nice contrast to the walls.

Anonymous said...

Love the rug, but not in the room. Either paint the walls a lighter color or brighten your couches if you keep it.

Otherwise, get a new rug.