November 11, 2011

OH, HOW SHE GROWS

Three and a half months ago Clementine was still kicking me from the inside. But then she came early and I watched how she grew. It used to be that we had to coax her to eat just an ounce of formula. But overnight she started gobbling much much more and has nearly tripled her birth weight.
About two weeks ago she discovered her hands. One day they didn't exist and the next day it was like, "oh my, what are these deliciously chubby fingers I have to stick in my mouth?" And now she does it all the time. To watch her try and suck her thumb is my guilty pleasure these days.
On Nov. 8 out of the blue, she discovered her voice. She used it before to unconsciously cue me to feed her, change her, move the blanket off her face...But on Nov. 8 she woke up and decided that today was the day she was going to sing and make beautiful sounds. On purpose. And if I could I'd have my phone on her 24/7 to record every little note she hits with that perfect voice of hers.
Being a mom is such a fascinating job. More than any marketing campaign or launch I've ever worked on, she amazes me. She literally wakes up and decides that today she'll do something she's never done before. Something that she discovered on her own, that SHE invented. And then she does it. Her little brain and beautiful little body are magical. I suppose she'll continue to impress me and take my breath away until I no longer have breath. I can only pray for such a life.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

I've been reading your blog for a few years, and now I'm an even bigger fan since I see that Miss Clementine shares a birthday with my son, Griffin (he's 3 years old now). I have to say, I don't think I've ever read a more perfect explanation of motherhood than when you wrote, "I suppose she'll continue to impress me and take my breath away until I no longer have breath."

Enjoy your sweet baby because it really is true: they grow up so fast. Each age is amazing and beautiful. Right now I'm soaking up every time my son says (completely unprompted), "Mama, I wuv you."

~Tracy

Unknown said...

"Any woman can be called a woman but any woman can't be called a mother." --Kym (now you get it.)

Unknown said...

I read your blog again and all I have to say is that Clementine is the best thing ever. Motherhood looks good on you sistah!

Snork Maiden said...

Awww. I have been reading yoru blog for a while, as well. Then, you disappeared it seemed for a bit, and I did as well. My baby is now 5 months old, and your post is like a day in my life! Congrats!!!

Tonia Conger said...

Thanks for the beautiful comments. I just love being Clementine's mama.