September 04, 2006

DIRTY LITTLE SECRET

At 16, I learned of a family secret. One that had been kept from me with, I'm sure, no intentions of ever exposing the truth. But there I was at 16, standing at the counter at the DMV listening to some woman tell me that according to my birth certificate, my legal name was Baby Girl Thompson and unless I legally changed it, that's the name that would have to go on my newly earned driver's license. I was devastated. Baby Girl Thompson? All those years I had called myself Tonia Thompson but it was a lie! My mom had forgotten to add my name to the legal documents after my birth.

So at 16 I legally changed my name to Tonia Sarah Thompson. I added the Sarah because I'd always wanted a middle name. My mom told me I could pick it out with what I can only assume was hesitation. I had a pink checker board shaved into my head; how could I be trusted?

Thus began my obsession with Names and how they become a part of your identity and shape you in small ways. In this name vein I decided something very important a few days ago. I ran it by Nate to see if he had any objections and he seemed okay with it.

So here's the background thinking. When a baby is born, you can only give it a name that means something to you. Either you like the sound it makes or you think it looks pretty on paper. But it can't really represent the baby at all since you don't know it yet.

For this reason I've decided to give my child a name I like when they are born, and when they are 12 I will add a name to it; something that represents their character or personality. And again when they are 18 I will add another name to represent the adult they have become. I know this will make for a long name, but what difference does it make? Really?

I'd love to hear your favorite names. The name you wish was yours or the names you have named or plan to name your children.

7 comments:

jordan said...

Are you spelling Clementine with an 'a' on purpose?

My friend is really into names and when she and her husband got married they chose a new last name. But the problem now is they say it is addicting. They want a new last name every couple years.

jordan said...

p.s. ok now it works.

Tonia Conger said...

when i was naming the blog I had to spell it with an A cause the regular spelling was taken. Now I can't decide if I like it better then with all Es.

OOOh, a new last name. That's an interesting idea.

Sweets said...

we chose Isabella and Clara for girl names and Ethan and Isaac for boy names. as far as clemantine goes i think it looks great with the A. i vote for A!

jordan said...

Super cute name. Personally, I love traditionally spelled names. Mostly for practical reasons.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have children for 15 years.

In a previous marriage, I thought that I would have 2 boys and one girl, and I had their names all picked out:

Jayden Matthew
Amron Shane
Jesslyn Rayne

I look at those names now, and wonder who that women was that would give her children those names.

I am a stepmom to 2 boys, Tanner & Tate, but didn't play a single part in naming them.

So, I resigned myself to the fact that I would forever be one to share my favorite names, but never actually use one of them. (needless to say, the 3 names I listed above, haven't made it on my "list" for over a decade!)

In 1995 I heard a name for a little girl that I thought was so feminine and sweet: "Ellie"

It's not popular and it's probably a bit too "little girlish" , but when my tiny miracle baby came into this world, I had to give her that name that had made my list for 10 straight years. A name I never thought I'd use as a mother. I am so blessed.

-Kari M.

CaraDee said...

That is the awesomest name story EVER. I can just picture Nate coming up to you and saying, "What's happening, Baby Girl?" HA